Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 2 - Las Ramblas, La Marcat de Boqueria, y primer día de clases

I feel like I have already settled into to my new home for the next 6 weeks. The past two days have been a blur of new food, new language and new culture.


Martes



The first day I was here, I had orientation. Jet lag snuck up on me, so I didn't get to run in the park in the morning like I wanted to. I barely got to my orientation on time. After orientation, some friends and I went and got Paella and pints from a street vendor on Las Ramblas. Soon after we'd finished, we walked South sightseeing and came across the most amazing public market I have ever seen, la Boqueria. 


Friends and I wandering around the market


The market! There was so much fish
The coolest candy store I have ever seen.

After doing some research, I realized that this market is almost 800 years old! It won the award for "best market in the world" in 2005. It was unbelievable. 


Martes noches



After that, my friends and I grabbed tapas, and hung out in my apartment until about 11. We then went to a really cool bar called the Dow Jones bar, where the prices of the drinks varied based on the current "stock" of the drink at the time. At one point, the market "crashed" and the prices of the drinks plummeted. Sirens went off and people started calling for the bartender, hoping to get a drink before the stock went back up. It was a lot of fun! We were there until about 3 am!


Dow Jones bar, the computer screens were the drink "stocks."

Miercoles



Let me reiterate... jet lag sucks. I slept through my alarm and woke up just in time to get to my first class, Intermediate Spanish. The class is conversation based, so we'll see how well I do. My grammar is not as good as some others in the class, but I am able to openly converse much easier than they do. Looking forward to the summer classes!

1 comment: